Gin and Valencian Orange Tonic Chocolate Tart
A sweet shortcrust pastry base filled with delicious dark chocolate ganache and flavoured with gin and Valencian Orange Tonic Water.
- Pastry Base
- 175g Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g Cold Butter, diced
- 1tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk OR
- 1x pack (350g) Sweet Shortcrust Dessert Pastry
- Chocolate Filling
- 300 ml Double Cream
- 10g Caster Sugar
- 50g Unsalted Butter, (at room temperature)
- 250g Dark Chocolate, (70%)
- 2 Large Oranges (and the rind)
- 20ml of Fentimans Valencian Orange Tonic Water
- 20ml of Gin
- 2 pinches of Fine Sea Salt
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4
- Roll out the pastry to around the thickness of a £1 coin and use it to line a 24cm greased tart tin. Fix any patches or gaps with excess pastry making sure it’s all smooth and neatly trimmed to the top of the tin.
- Cover with parchment paper, fill with dried beans and blind bake for 12 to 15 minutes, remove beans carefully and bake again for around 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Put the cream, sugar and 1 pinch of sea salt into a pan and slowly bring to the boil
- As soon as you see bubbles forming and the cream starts to boil, remove off the heat, add the butter and break in the chocolate. Stir until blended and smooth.
- Leave to cool for around 10 minutes, add the gin, Valencian Orange Tonic Water and the juice of the oranges and keep stirring till shiny and combined.
- Pour into the tart shell and leave at room temperature for 4 hours to set.
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes and orange rind lightly all over.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving with with a scoop of ice-cream or fresh cream.